But because Americans and the U.S. economy are such a consumer driven culture, the holiday shopping season begins as early as possible, and this now includes during the evening of Thanksgiving where stores open not at midnight as in years past, but as early as 2pm, or shortly after the ending of the second football game of the day.
And here is a small list of stores that are open today for shoppers seeking to start their Black Friday experience 12 hours early.
- Walmart: Open all day Thanksgiving but Black Friday deals get underway at 6 p.m. local time.
- Target: Open Thanksgiving at 6 p.m. (compared to 5 p.m.) through midnight and then re-opening Black Friday at 6 a.m.
- Best Buy: Open Thanksgiving at 5 p.m. through 1 a.m. on Friday, before re-opening at 8 a.m.
- Macy’s: Open Thanksgiving at 5 p.m. through 2 a.m. on Friday, before re-opening at 6 a.m.
- Kohl’s: Open Thanksgiving at 5 p.m. and not closing until 31 hours later, at the stroke of midnight on Friday, Nov. 25.
- J.C. Penney: Open Thanksgiving at 2 p.m. and will remain open until 10 p.m. on Friday.
Sears: Open Thanksgiving at 6 p.m. through midnight, before re-opening Friday morning at 5 a.m.
- Kmart: Open 6 a.m. on Thanksgiving through midnight, and re-opening on Friday morning at 6 a.m.
- Toys R Us: Open Thanksgiving at 5 p.m. through to 11 p.m. on Black Friday
- Ulta Beauty: Open Thanksgiving 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. Black Friday, then again from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- GameStop: Open Thanksgiving 4 p.m. to 10 p.m., then on Friday 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Dick’s Sporting Goods: Open Thanksgiving 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. Friday, then re-opening at 5 a.m. through 10 p.m.
- The Gap: Varies a lot by store, but those opening on Thanksgiving are largely doing so at 6 a.m.
- Old Navy: Open at 4 p.m. on Thanksgiving and all the way through to midnight on Friday.
And of course online portals such as with Amazon and Alibaba never sleep, so you can even shop while basting the Thanksgiving turkey if the need to buy becomes too overwhelming earlier in the day.