Smiley face Encryption Text and HTML  Smiley face Conversion to JavaScript

Oregon Finally Has To Pump Their Own Gas And They’re Kinda Freaking Out About It

Posted: 03 Jan 2018 07:55 AM PST

Who knew pumping gas was such a hot-button issue?

You learn something new everyday, right? Well for anyone not living in Oregon, here’s a fun fact: Oregonians don’t pump their own gas. That’s right, the entire state of Oregon is full-service gas stations. Even if you personally were aware of this fact, there are plenty of people out there who were not at all aware (*sheepishly raises her Pennsylvanian hand*).

And these people just had a field day in the Facebook comments section of an Oregonian news station.

The big hot-button issue in Oregon right now is House Bill 2482, signed into law last year by the governor of Oregon, which permits motorists to pump their own gas in several rural counties.

Poor KTVL CBS 10 in Medford, bless their hearts. They probably had no idea when posting their Very Local News Station social media poll about the new law that people from all over the country would flock to add their commentary. But it’s just so damn funny.

So far, the post has been shared thousands of times and garnered nearly as many comments. Some from the outraged residents of Oregon who can’t fathom a world where they pump their own gas.

You tell ’em, Pamela! Now obviously the 48 other states where self-service gas stations are de riguer (New Jersey is also full-service) were full of people who couldn’t resist poking a little light-hearted fun at all the Oregonians aghast at the thought of stepping outside their vehicle to fuel up.

Kevin must be a dad because this is Every Dad Joke Ever. Love it.

Who knew gas station marauders were something to fear? I kid, I kid. I remember one or two full-service gas stations when I was a kid in the late ’80s riding around with my grandma. Because she knew them and had patronized their station for decades, my grandma even used to pay the attendants with a check. A CHECK.

All fun and games aside, though — people who are concerned about those with special needs should know that the Americans with Disabilities Act explicitly states that gas stations must offer aid.

Service attendants who are worried about employment need not be, according to KTVL. The news station interviewed several station managers throughout the counties affected, and they have no plans to change from the full-service their customers expect.

Judging from the comments above, this is probably very welcome news to the people of Oregon.

Calling All Moms: Serena Williams Needs Your Help

Posted: 03 Jan 2018 07:29 AM PST

When tennis superstar Serena Williams needed breastfeeding advice, she took to Twitter. The G hosts, Tiffiny and Nacia, serve up their own mom advice on surviving breastfeeding. How long do you breastfeed? Is there a cut off age? The ladies share their own experiences with their kids and offer Serena some motherly words of encouragement.

Nurse Goes Viral With ‘Magic’ Way Of Giving A Child Shots

Posted: 03 Jan 2018 06:11 AM PST

Nurses are the best ever

No kid likes getting a shot (to be honest, as an adult they’re still less than fun). Even when you’re old enough to understand that they’re a necessary evil to keep you (and others around you) healthy, it doesn’t change the fact that getting a needle shoved into your skin hurts — plain and simple.

That’s why a viral video of a nurse performing a finger prick and giving three injections to one brave little boy has the internet cheering. This nurse has major tricks up her sleeves, and she uses them all to help the little guy get through his appointment without a single tear — and claim a major prize at the end.

The video was shot and shared by Tiffany Shelby Marshall, the boy’s grandmother. Not only did she love seeing her grandson’s personality shine during the encounter, she also wanted this angel with a stethoscope to get the props she so clearly deserves. “This was by far the funniest thing I’ve ever seen with this kid I almost peed myself. LIKE IT AND SHARE IT PLEASE THIS NURSE WAS ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL!” she captioned the video.

The boy is nervous about getting his finger pricked. But the nurse tells him she’s got a magic trick for him. “We’re gonna paint, and we’re gonna make circles on this paper right here,” she tells him. “You ready?” She quickly pricks his finger and draws up the blood (that’s the magic part). Then she helps him “paint” the blood into the boxes on the little card that the doctors need. “I didn’t cry!” he says over and over in amazement.

The world’s best nurse has one more trick up her sleeve, and it’s such an easy one, you’ll wonder why you’ve never seen it before. She gives the boy three quick injections, alternating arms each time. But her secret is that before each shot, she has the boy give her a big hug and close his eyes. No flailing limbs, no mom or dad having to hold down a screaming kid. Again, while he’s obviously not loving the experience (he lets out a tiny shriek of protest before shot three but let’s be honest — wouldn’t we all when faced with a third needle in a row?), at least the child has control and knows what’s coming, and the magic nurse gets it done without a single tear being shed. Can she come with me to get my flu shot, please?

When all of his bandages are on, the little boy bounds from the examination table and happily collects the five dollars his family promised him if he made it through the appointment without crying. He does a little dance of celebration, and you just can’t help smiling along with him.

All nurses are heroes. They wake up every day not fully knowing what they’ll face and tackle it, no questions asked. Giving kids shots obviously isn’t the most fun part of the job, yet, they manage it with patience and grace. They care for us like family, and deserve to be recognized for all their hard work and determination.

But this nurse has a bedside manner that’s truly special. Her techniques work in a way that makes the child feel empowered and you can tell she really loves her job. Is she available for special appointments? Because if so, I’m sure she would be booked by parents everywhere from now until the end of time.

Chip And Joanne Gaines Are Expecting Baby Number 5!

Posted: 03 Jan 2018 04:32 AM PST

The ‘Fixer Upper’ couple hinted last year that they were looking to expand their family

Chip Gaines took to Instagram last night with some pretty huge news — no, there won’t be another even more amazingly cute and affordable Magnolia Home line at Targetbetter. The couple are expecting their fifth child, and I think I’m more excited than they are.

If you’re an eagle-eyed Fixer Upper devotee, you’d know that Chip (and Joanna) sometimes chant “number five…”. They’re referring to a fifth child, and apparently, they both got on board at some point in the last few months. Chip teased the news in tweets during last night’s season five premiere before doing the big reveal on Instagram.

They shared the huge announcement in a super cute photo of the pair comparing baby bumps, although Chip’s is probably just tacos. Joanna is, of course, completely gorgeous and glowing. The caption reads, “Gaines party of 7.. (If you’re still confused.. WE ARE PREGNANT)”

Chip even got a little bit adorably TMI in sharing how the seventh member of the Gaines family came to be.

A romantic concert, happy parents on a date night, boom. Baby on the way. The couple’s four kids, Drake, 12, Ella, 11, Duke, nine, and Emmie Kay, seven, are probably thrilled with the news if Joanna’s past comments are any indication. Back in June, she told People, "I would love another baby — or twins! The kids are always asking me, 'Mom, can you have another baby?' But Chip thinks we're done."

Nope. Not quite.

And last November, Chip also made no mystery of his desire to expand their family. "We had four babies right before the show started, and then we've had zero babies since the show started," he told Houston’s KTRK News. "For me, I'm really excited to go back and try to maybe . . . try to make some more babies."

We probably should’ve seen this coming, because aside from hints in interviews, Joanna’s recent Instagram stories have shown her baking up a storm and sorting her kids’ baby clothes. Obviously she was feeling a certain type of way.

Last night’s premiere episode was even appropriately baby-themed. It featured the Gaines’ helping Joanna’s younger sister and her husband fix up a home in Waco, and mid-renovation, it was announced that the couple were expecting a sixth child. Something tells me the 2018 Gaines family Christmas will be a crowded and happy one.

Now that the show is wrapping up its final season, we won’t have the chance to watch Baby Gaines grow up, so let’s hope Joanna keeps up with her Instagram.

Because we need to see that nursery so badly it hurts.

Booger And Fart Jokes Can Actually Be Good For Your Child’s Health

Posted: 02 Jan 2018 06:00 PM PST

I had a pretty difficult time getting my son into reading, which was a tough pill for me to swallow since I love reading so much. It wasn't until we discovered the dreaded Captain Underpants series with all its poop and fart glory that he began to stay up late in his room, flash light in hand and giggling under the covers, reading a book.

At first, I was completely against those books because they seemed so stupid and fowl. But at the same time, my son was reading, something I hadn't been able to get him to do no matter how hard I tried. Naturally, Captain Underpants resulted in some low brow turd humor around the house, but it also led to him reading books with fewer fart jokes, like Harry Potter and A Dog's Purpose. So maybe, just maybe, there is a place for booger and fart jokes, even if they make parents give an epic eye roll.

Dr. Howard Bennett, a pediatrician and author, uses this same strategy, and has been applying booger and fart jokes in his pedantic practice for years. He's known for bringing up some nasty, childish, Captain Underpants-like topics when meeting with his patients, but according to a recent NPR interview, it all comes with a purpose. "Adults are typically scared about what’s wrong with them," he said. "Children are scared about what you’re gonna do to them."

That tension can been relieved when adults and children are able to have a conversation about things that interest them and, naturally, children don't give a crap about things like politics and the weather. I once tried to chat with my son about the 2016 election when he asked me who Donald Trump was. The moment I began to explain, he drifted off, and when I tried to get his attention back, he made a fart sound with his armpit. Sigh…

Finding a topic to chat about with kids can be challenging. Not all of us are My Little Pony experts, and chatting about Minecraft can feel like discussing a complicated story plot in some strange language (believe me, I've tried). And don't even get me started on YouTube Kids. I have three kids, and I can hardly keep up with all the dumbassery over there.

So rather than try to keep up with all the kid trends, Dr. Bennett tries to reach for the lowest kid denominator — body humor. And just like how my son started to read more because of Captain Underpants, according to Dr. Bennett, he has found that kids are more likely to trust him and take his advice if he begins his meetings with a fart joke.

"In the adult world, research has shown that if you come into my office, and I spend just a minute talking to you about something unrelated to why you’re there, you’ll be more satisfied with the visit, and you’ll be more likely to do what I’m suggesting you do, so it improves patient compliance. It’s not just touchy-feely stuff. It actually has an impact on health care."

Sometimes, Dr. Bennett’s strategy has backfired, though. He’s had complaints from parents. In fact, some parents even invite him out to lunch so they can give him a lesson on how to appropriately interact with children.

On the flip side, though, he's had experiences with children in the ER where they were flat out terrified, and by the time he finished connecting with them on a level they understood, he got results like this: "I swear I could have put a tube in the child’s throat, and he would have said ‘Thank you.’ He was mesmerized."

Dr. Bennett also happens to be an author of kid's books about the human body. Sure, he talks about all the nastiness that can come from the body, but just like in his visits, he teaches a lot about why it's all happening. His latest book is The Fantastic Body, and according to Dr. Bennett, "There are a lot of gross books out there, but this was the first time anybody put the body, physiology, medical facts and gross stuff all together."

I think all of this comes down to using something a little gross to get a child to do something they might be resistant or afraid to do. To be honest, if talking about farts and boogers get's a child to read a book, that isn't a bad thing. And if it cuts through the tension some children might feel at the doctor’s office and ultimately helps them be better patients who follow doctors orders willingly, without a parent plugging their child's nose so they can slide in a spoon full of medicine, that's ultimately a good thing.

Here’s How Other Cultures Celebrate Getting Your First Period

Posted: 02 Jan 2018 06:00 PM PST

Like most girls, I vividly remember the first time I got my period. That mysterious, sore-tummy feeling in the days before it came. The fresh swirl of blood in the toilet. The first awkward attempts at learning to use pads and tampons. Feeling like I was the only one who leaked and stained, the only one whose cramps made her want to curl into a little ball and weep.

And because I was just 10 at the time, I felt like I was the only one in the entire fifth-grade-universe who had her period. I'm sure there were at least a few others who did too, but certainly no one was talking about that in fifth grade, so I was truly convinced I was the only one. It was a lonely, and sometimes shameful, feeling.

I was lucky in that I had a supportive mom who taught me how to handle the whole thing with some grace and never made me feel embarrassed about what was happening to my body. But I remember thinking, even at the time, that I wished the whole subject weren't so awkward to discuss, so hidden and off-limits. I wished it weren't so cloaked in guilt, humiliation, and the feeling that what was happening somehow made me "dirty," weak, or less than in some way.

Girls deserve nothing but respect and admiration when they get their periods. Maybe even a little fanfare too—after all, the arrival of Aunt Flo means that the girl is now transforming into a woman, which is nothing short of miraculous. If we welcomed all girls into womanhood with honor and accolades, can you imagine how that might change the course of their lives— their relationship to their bodies, their reproductive systems, and their sexualities?

The thing is, the idea that a girl’s first period (or "menarche," in clinical terms) is something taboo that should never be discussed is actually pretty specific to our culture. In other cultures, a girl's first period is acknowledged and actually celebrated. Periods are viewed as a girl's entrance into womanhood, and for that she is revered. As well she damn well should be.

Now, for those of us who have lived all our lives in a culture where periods are hardly ever discussed, the idea of a "period party" or anything resembling such a thing, might sound pretty foreign, and maybe even embarrassing or unnecessary. But for girls who have grown up in cultures where this is part of normal life, that is not the case at all, and these celebrations actually serve a necessary and important purpose in a girls' maturation and developing sense of self.

In an article for Globe and Mail, V. Radhika describes the Sri Lankan coming-of-age tradition called poopunitha neerathu vizha. The ritual has two main components: a private religious ceremony, followed by a large, public party. This is how one mother, Malarvilly Karunagaran describes it:

"When a girl gets her first period, close relatives are informed and she is given a bath with saffron and milk (the ‘bath’ is symbolic; some families merely sprinkle tinted milk over their daughters). A few days later, a priest is invited to perform a small ceremony to bless her. She also wears a sari for the first time, marking her transition to womanhood."

Soon after, there is a giant gala, replete with limousine service, cake, and endless festivities. It's attended by everyone in the community (yes, including boys), and costs some families as much as $20,000.

To many of us, this sounds totally strange, am I right? Why draw such attention to such a private matter? But the amazing thing is that this is not how it is experienced for the girls involved. Why? Because a lavish period party like this a normal, common part of life, much like a Sweet Sixteen, Christening, or Bar Mitzvah would be to many of us. “All my friends had it, so I am happy to have it too,” says Senthura, one of the sisters interviewed for the Globe and Mail profile.

The Sri Lankan menarche party is just one of many traditional cultures who have coming-of-age rituals surrounding a girl's first period. The Beng women of the Ivory Coast, for example, view a girl's first period as a time of blossoming, and celebrate it by showering with her gifts and celebrating her "like a queen."

And check out this "first-period" celebration from the Navajo culture: The celebration spans several days, and girls get to be dressed in their finest clothes, are fed well, and pampered, and are treated to four days of singing and dancing. And yes, there is cake. (I mean, what would a party be without cake?).

Are you starting to be convinced that "period parties" might be a pretty cool thing to do for our girls too? You're not the only one. Although our culture is still rife with plenty of secrecy and shame surrounding menstruating girls and women, some families out there are looking to change that.

In 2012, an website called Menarche Parties R Us (hilarious name, right?) stepped onto the scene, with period party kits for sale that come complete with decorations, instructions, games, and more. And if you are more of a DIY-type, Pinterest has been exploding with "period party" crafts, recipes, and party ideas.

You might even remember the viral story from early this year about 12-year-old Brooke Lee, and the awesome "period party" her mom threw for her. Between the "Congrats On Your Period" cake (with red icing, no less) and the gift-wrapped tampon and pads, the party was amaze-balls. But it was also Brooke's grinning face, and the fact that she seemed proud and totally unembarrassed about it all that made the story noteworthy.

But whether or not a "period party" is the way to go for each and every one of us, it would behoove us to all think about making positive changes in how this momentous event is handled for our girls and daughters. Getting your period for the first time should not be a stressful, shameful experience, but a memorable one in which your fierce power and utter gorgeousness as a woman is celebrated and respected.

Why You Shouldn’t Be Jealous I Spent All Day In Bed

Posted: 02 Jan 2018 06:00 PM PST

Here I am, lying in bed. I can't get up. It's literally taken all I have to roll over and grab my laptop. I've spent 18 of the last 24 hours in bed, staring at the wall. I'm in and out of sleep – at war with my mind while trying to convince my body to get out of this bed. I also haven't showered in four days.

I have major depressive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder.

Sometimes this is how my days go.

When having conversations with people, I'm generally pretty open. For example, "Hey, how's your week going?" My response: "Oh it's alright. I spent all day in bed yesterday, I just couldn't get up." Almost every time I say something like this, I get a response that sounds like this: "Oh man! I'm so jealous! You're so lucky! I wish I could have stayed in bed. But I have work and [insert other responsibilities] I had to take care of." To me, this is beyond frustrating. I didn't want to stay in bed all day and I didn't enjoy it.

I don't enjoy spending all day in bed. I'm just not lying here in hopes of wasting my entire day. Yes, sometimes when my brain is balanced and functioning normally, I can enjoy a day to catch up on sleep. But today is not that kind of day.

My entire body aches. I feel as if there are anchors tied to my core and every limb of my body preventing me from lifting myself off of my bed. Everything is daunting. Everything is too much. Thinking about getting up is anxiety-inducing. Even the most minuscule of tasks feel absolutely impossible. My dishes from last night? That will take energy I don't have. Brush my teeth? Yeah, right.

I feel weak. I feel so weak because I should be able to do small tasks like dishes and brushing my teeth. I feel ashamed because it is 7 p.m. and I am still in bed.

I know I am stronger than this. I have to be, right?

But today, depression and anxiety are winning. Today, I can't fight.

I feel guilty because I know I shouldn't be spending my time like this. I feel guilty for the unanswered text messages and canceled plans.

This morning, I called in sick to work 15 minutes before I was supposed to be there. I fought. I wanted to go. I told my manager I had a fever and I was throwing up. The truth is I am sick today. But calling to say my brain is sick is not a socially-acceptable reason to not show up to work.

I was supposed to go to the gym and hang out with a friend I haven't spent time with in a long time, but instead I sent a text message that read: "Hey, sorry I can't make it. I've been throwing up and in bed all day." Its feels awful to cancel these plans.

My mind is a battlefield. I tell myself I will be OK. But the shame and the guilt are demons in my mind telling me I am weak and not good enough. They tell me I am a bad employee and coworker. They tell me I am a bad friend. You can't even get out of bed! They scream at me. This only makes it harder and harder to get up.

It may seem like I'm not fighting. Like I am weak today. But when I can quiet the demons in my mind, I know I am strong. I am fighting. I hope for a better tomorrow.

Please, please don't tell me you are jealous I got to stay in bed all day. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Originally published on The Mighty.

This Is What It Looks Like To Let Your Kids Fail (And Why It’s Important)

Posted: 02 Jan 2018 06:00 PM PST

Every parent wants the very best for their children. We spend years doing all the big (and small) things in our power (and at our disposal) to make this happen. We plan, save, stress, pine, hover, encourage, and, of course, protect our kids. None of us want to see our kids get hurt, struggle, suffer, or  fail at anything — even the smallest of things. Ever.

Unfortunately, an unintended side effect of this is that we’ve raised a generation of children who not only don't know what it feels like to truly fail, they are never given the chance to learn the valuable lessons that come with failing — like brushing themselves off from defeat, then having the perseverance and drive to rise back up again.

We start and continue to keep our kids from failing with the best of intentions; we don't want to see them unhappy, we're afraid of how others will view us as parents if our kids fail, and we think by swooping in and saving the day that we are actually saving the day. We're on their side of disappointment, reassuring them defeat is rarely (if ever) their fault, and that any sort of failure is shameful and disgraceful.

Ultimately, we've perpetuated the notion that failure in any form is unacceptable and intolerable. And we wonder why we've got colleges full of young adults who are suffering from anxiety, depression, and a complete lack of emotional weaponry in their backpacks to handle real life when it comes at them fiercely, and ready to show them what actual failure looks like.

And that is precisely what we need to do — let them experience real, actual, EPIC failure. But what does that look like exactly? What does it look like to sit back and watch our kids fall flat on their asses, knowing, in the end, it really is the best thing for them?

Well, it’s doesn’t look like delivering forgotten lunches or homework papers to school, and it doesn't look like sticky notes and chore charts all over the house full of reminders, to-do lists, and incentives for doing such things. (Although beginning to not do all those things is the small step towards encouraging self-motivation and sufficiency.) I’m not just talking about shunning regular mom duties either; when we talk about letting our kids fail epically, I mean letting them fail (literally and hypothetically) the really big stuff.

The night before a huge project is due (one that makes up a giant percentage of their semester grade), are you running to the store for rubber cement and tri-fold poster board? DON'T.

When the teacher sends a disciplinary action note home, are you quick to come to your kid's defense and call that teacher questioning her judgment? DON'T.

When your kid doesn't make the little league all-star team, the cheer squad, the math quiz bowl, the lead in the drama play, or the honor society, do you call the league president and the school principal demanding a full explanation, immediate action, and another audition? DON'T.

When your tween or teen daughter or son finds themselves wrapped up in friend drama, do you call the parents of the other kids involved, intervening in an attempt to resolve their issues for them before someone gets hurt? DON'T.

When they miss a major school assignment deadline, application deadline, or job deadline, do you jump in on their behalf and ask for an extension? DON'T.

When they fail an entire semester of a class, one that will show up on their transcript forever, do you beg the teacher and guidance counselor for a re-do, extra credit, or to just change it because he's a nice kid? DON'T.

Letting your kid fail spectacularly is undoubtedly one of the hardest (if not the hardest) things you're going to have to do as a parent. It just isn't naturally in a parent's chemistry to sit back and let bad shit happen to their children, but experts agree it's an absolute must during childhood. Good intentions of saving our kids from defeat is only undermining their resilience and independence. In her book The Gift of Failure: How the Best Parents Learn to Let Go So Their Children Can Succeed, author Jessica Lahey writes: "We have taught our kids to fear failure, and in doing so, we have blocked the surest and clearest path to their success."

The sooner we teach our children that true success can only come after being knocked down over and over again and getting back up, the better chance they will have at overcoming everything life throws at them.