- Twin Cities Archdiocese bankruptcy drags on, taking a toll on all parties involved
- Nephew leaps to defence of Bishop after resignation
- Statement from Bishop McAreavey March 2018
- Two brothers say they were among those abused by priest in the 1960s
- Advocate: Many stories of sexual abuse by priests yet to be told
Posted: 04 Mar 2018 10:10 AM PST
MINNEAPOLIS (MN) Star Tribune March 3, 2018 By Jean Hopfensperger Victims and parishes in Twin Cities archdiocese dwell in uncertainty as bankruptcy drags on "First there was the sex abuse. Then years of coverup. Then the archdiocese fought against us in the Legislature. Now it's three years with no settlement. What kind of message does that send?" said David David Lind has waited three years for justice. But the bankruptcy of the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis still drags on — entering its fourth year with no settlement in sight and no relief for Lind and more than 400 other men and women who claim they were abused by local priests when they were children and teenagers. The case is now on track to be one of the longest archdiocese bankruptcies in the nation, and the protracted dispute is placing mounting strains on all parties involved. "First there was the sex abuse," said Lind, an altar boy in St. Paul Park in the 1960s. "Then years of coverup. Then the archdiocese fought against us in the Legislature. Now it's three years with no settlement. What kind of message does that send?"
Posted: 04 Mar 2018 10:02 AM PST
DUBLIN (IRELAND) The Independent By Jerome Reilly March 4, 2018 John McAreavey, the widower of Michaela Harte, has defended his uncle, Bishop John McAreavey, who resigned as Catholic Bishop of Dromore last Thursday. The bishop resigned from the diocese, which includes parishes in Antrim, Armagh and Down, following controversy over his decision to officiate more than 15 years ago at the funeral of a priest who was a known child abuser. It followed a BBC Spotlight programme broadcast last month on Fr Malachy Finnegan, who spent most of his ministry at St Colman's College in Newry and who was the subject of 12 allegations of serious sexual abuse. The programme also investigated the Church's response to those allegations.
Posted: 04 Mar 2018 10:01 AM PST
NEWRY (NORTHERN IRELAND) Diocese of Dromore March 2, 2018 By Bishop John McAreavey Letter to People, Religious and Clergy of the Diocese. Today I am writing my letter of resignation as Bishop of Dromore to Pope Francis. I do so with a heavy heart. I wrestled with this decision over recent weeks; it was not an easy decision to take. Following recent media coverage which has disturbed and upset many people, I decided on Thursday to resign. I would ask you first and foremost to continue to hold in your prayers those who have been abused and all who are suffering at this time. Until new arrangements for the leadership of the Diocese are in place, Canon Liam Stevenson, the Vicar General will take responsibility for the day to day administration of the Diocese. As regards the celebration of Confirmation, the priests of each parish have been delegated to minister this Sacrament. To serve as Bishop of Dromore, my home Diocese, has been the greatest privilege of my life, though not without its challenges. Finally, I want to say thank you for your kindness and co-operation over my time as Bishop. Please keep me in your prayers, as I will keep you in mine.
Posted: 04 Mar 2018 09:50 AM PST
BUFFALO (NY) Buffalo News March 4, 2018 By Jay Tokasz [Note from BishopAccountability.org: See also Advocate: Many stories of sexual abuse by priests yet to be told, by Dan Herbeck, March 3, 2018. These articles were side-by-side on the front page of the Sunday Buffalo News.] James A. McCarthy hasn't seen the Rev. Norbert F. Orsolits in years. But the face of the priest still creeps into his mind anytime he enters a Catholic church, he said. McCarthy, 69, says a short prayer to make the image go away: "Lord, help me to do the right thing and let this pass." It gets him past the awful memory of the sexual abuse that McCarthy said he endured from Orsolits in his childhood bedroom some 50 years ago. Orsolits, now 78, made the startling admission on Tuesday that he had molested "probably dozens" of boys prior to entering a Canadian facility for treatment in the early 1980s. On Friday, McCarthy and his younger brother became the second and third men to publicly accuse Orsolits of sexually abusing them as adolescents while he worked as a Catholic Diocese of Buffalo priest. Orsolits' abuses span more than decade and date back to the earliest years of his priesthood, according to the accounts of the McCarthy brothers and a third victim, Michael F. Whalen.
Posted: 04 Mar 2018 09:11 AM PST
BUFFALO (NY) Buffalo News March 3, 2018 By Dan Herbeck For the past 22 years, Judith Burns-Quinn has listened to the shocking and heartbreaking stories of people who were sexually abused by priests. Most of them, she said, are adult men who were molested as young boys and teenagers. "Every victim I've talked to has their own story, but for every one, the experience of being molested by a priest has had a profound impact on their life," said Burns-Quinn, 74. Burns-Quinn said she has spoken to about 40 such victims since 2002, when she became Buffalo coordinator for a national organization called Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, or SNAP. "Every one I've talked to has had trouble with either drugs, alcohol, anger issues, parental issues, divorces, or all those things," she said. "They have problems with trusting people, especially people in authority. Their lives have been devastated…because a priest was someone they thought they could be trust."
|You are subscribed to email updates from Abuse Tracker. |
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
|Email delivery powered by Google|
|Google, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, United States|